Books for Readers Who Like…
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Hello bookworms! I’m back with another Top Ten Tuesday, and this time, the topic is: Top ten books for readers who like ___. This was definitely one I wanted to do this month as it allows me to pick a genre. And of course, I had to pick my favourite genre of all time. But then I thought, hm, maybe I should make this a bit more interesting… and that’s exactly what I’ve done! I’ve decided to recommend to you a couple of books each for some of my favourite genres, because if I picked just my favourite genre, you would already know the books that I am going to recommend. (But you will be seeing them in this post also).
So, without further delay, lets get onto the books!
IF YOU ARE A READER WHO LIKES YA FANTASY/DYSTOPIAN YOU WILL LIKE…
1. The Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth: This series is set in a fictional, dystopian world which is divided into factions. The factions are split in terms of a person’s characteristics, and when you become an adult, you get to decide which faction you will officially belong to. It’s an amazing, action packed book, and great for people who like dystopian stories.
2. The Matched Trilogy by Ally Condie: This is another dystopian novel, set in the modern world, I believe. It’s set in a world which is all controlled by the society. They control when people are born, when people die, what people eat, what their occupations are, who they are married to. If you like dystopian books, this one is for you.
3. The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini: I know, I’m sorry, I always talk about this book series… but for good reason! It’s an epic fantasy story that follows a boy who finds a dragon egg and then is put on an epic quest that involves dragons, magic, witches, other mythical creatures, kingdoms, kings, epic battle scenes and more! It also has a great romance intertwined in the story!
4. The Fallen Series by Lauren Kate: This series is an awesome, modern day fantasy series. It has to do with angels, travelling back in time, forbidden love, angels and demons and it all centers around an epic love story. It’s not mushy at all and it’s full of twists and turns. It’s amazing and those who like fantasy with a mix of contemporary and time travel, you’ll love this.
5. The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien: There’s no way you can be a fantasy lover without reading The Hobbit. It is a fantasy masterpiece. It’s an epic tale full of magic, wizards, elves, dwarves, dragons, many other awesome mythical creatures and it ultimately takes you on an amazing journey. A MUST-READ for fantasy lovers.
6. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins: You all must know the hype by now. This is an incredible book, and it’s such a unique dystopian novel. It’s jam-packed full of action, romance and craziness and will keep you on your toes.
7. The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel Series: The first book is called The Alchemyst. You guys, this is such an amazing series. It’s so damn unique and fantastic. I actually really need to put this on my TBR list soon as a re-read. It involves an ancient prophecy, magic, a powerful magic book, an evil magician, magical powers, mythology and much more as it follows a brother an sister, Sophie And Josh and Nicholas Flamel, the immortal who takes them on a journey around the globe. A MUST READ.
IF YOU ARE A READER WHO LIKES YA CONTEMPORARY/ROMANCE YOU’LL LIKE…
8. The Fault In Our Star by John Green: I bet you’re thinking, “of course she would say that,” in your head right now. Yes, I have to include it. It holds a special place in my heart because It ripped by heart out of my chest the first time I read it. It’s a wonderful contemporary romance that deals with cancer and the meaning and importance of life and friendship.
9. The Future of Us by Jay Asher: This is a wonderful contemporary novel. It follows a girl and a boy who are best friends, and the girl gets her first computer. They log in to Facebook to discover that their reading conversations that they had together, many, many years later and they can see what all their friends and people they know have become like in the future. It’s such an interesting, unique read. It has some aspects of time-travelling/time altering as they both discover how they can change the future through this computer, through Facebook. It’s also a wonderful romance novel that is just perfect.
10. Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry: This is a great contemporary romance novel. But not only does it focus on love, it focusses on a multitude of different ideas such as loss, change and growing up. It follows a girl, who has lost her memory of the moment when she turned from being popular to everyone calling her a total freak. She is put in therapy and she has no idea why. And she meets Noah, a bad boy, who seems to be the only one who will help her. It sounds pretty classic – good girl meets bad boy – but no, it seriously is not a typical book. It’s fantastic and everyone who loves YA contemporary must pick it up.